Tuesday, June 30, 2009

First Base?

Mentos has a gum that it advertises as "First Base" gum. There is a napkin laying beside it with a lip print and phone number. How in the world did how far a girl lets you go get to be a baseball analogy? Obviously, men created this goofball way of letting other males know what she allowed without coming right out and saying it. Here's the kicker, having sons, I know that they don't use these terms nor do their friends. Boys, not men, hopefully, use real anatomical names like lips, boobs, etc.! Men are not supposed to kiss and tell! Okay, so who does say it? And, since we were saying it in the sixties, how did it survive to a new century? How does one go about finding out the bases are even the same anymore? Heaven forbid that we actually ask some young man who is dating to lay out the specifics of a baseball game on a Friday night date!
I remember when the runner was supposed to be stranded on first base with no chance of second for at least 10 dates. And if first base is a kiss, according to Mentos gum, then good girls did not kiss on the first date. Not to say we didn't pop the gum in our mouth and pray, for what we really weren't sure. Maybe he will, but what do I do if he does!
Well, after 30 years with the same man, my experience level with dating has diminished; however, I still remember my first base experience. But, I'll never kiss and tell!

2 comments:

Connie said...

Girl you have way too much time on your hands to be going back this for and analyzing it. It was fun to read your take on it though. Happy Fourth!

troutbirder said...

Thats about right. My specialty was striking out. Then I took up tennis.