Friday, July 25, 2008

Just Thinking

this scene is in Brooklyn with Manhatten across the river there. I took this shot from the car that came to get us to take Jake and I to Penn Station... I had wanted the chance to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge but this was vetoed on this trip.

Rested today. can honestly say that I did no work of the desperate type. just puttered. spent all morning doing my walking and yoga. I do this outside so needs are met to get it done before the heat blanket was draped around my fat ass.

My flower beds have gotten away from reasonable. need to mow some down and start again because of the bermuda grass over taking the space

Have watched Obama being replayed today. I thought his speech in Germany was of major importance and inspirational. to get a better feel for the world , watch the bbc or other worldly sources of news - our homecooking in the news dept frequently biases everyworld they write for the news anchors.

Have talked to my dad now for 4 nights in a row as my mom has gone on a 10 day trip to Israel with a church group from Melbourne. dad didn't want to make this trip, so I'm trying to check on him each night without him thinking that I am just calling to see if he crawled in the house.

had some great conversation with him last night about the reservation that NeeNee Scott taught on in New Mexico. Cindy brought the subject up as she would like to see if anyone is left there at the agency school who would remember our grandmother.

NeeNee Scott would have taken a looooong train ride out from Indiana in 1926 , maybe, by herself to work on the Navajo reservation. Cindy and I want to piece together as much of her young history as possible as she was the consumate pioneer girl. She told us once that she wanted to see Pike's Peak , she borrowed a car and drove up there, then there were no turnarounds, so she had to back down that road in the dark.

we know that the name of the school was Crown Point-the reservation was in New Mexico, the Indian agency was in Arizona, They mined coal right there on the reservation but they were still restricted on how much they could use the lights. So from 6:00 on my grandmother Madeline, and her roommate, Freda, we think , would set out 10 or 15 candles all around the room and stay up until 10. A pueblo Indian made them the candlesticks.

I still have the picture of NeeNee Scott's teacher's aide standing beside a traditional straw hogan. She is in full native dress. this is a project we will still continue to work on.

am reading "The Dogman of Topanga" -a good book that I am going to recommend to my sister and friends. the author, Bret Burquest, lives here right around Salem and does contributing work for the Salem newspaper. So check it out if you get a chance. I bought mine from amazon used books.--It is a mystery of sorts with mine and Jamie's favorite type of anti-heroine in some anguish in her life kind of book

No comments: