Wednesday, July 2, 2008

To Market, To Market, to buy a fat....


We went to the sale barn yesterday in West Plains to sell calves-straight from momma to the smashed up confines of the trailer, then into the nothingness of 1000's of cattle bawling to who knows where. I learned long ago, don't get attached to anything cute around here cause it's going to market.

sometimes you get a name on this farm if you make big trouble on fences or corral-the names are not usually very nice. "mean sister", "big sister", "red sister", "black sister", and on and on,

We delivered the cattle, then went back to Hirsch's feed store, hope I spelled that right, to exchange brush hog blades. I wandered the store in wonder as I don't frequent the farm supply stores too often. Did you know that there was a wrench that you can buy for 94.95! a wrench big enough to hold your car up indefinitely if you balance it just right. What amazed me is that somewhere there is a bolt or screw or something as big as your head. Other items of interest included a tent with locks on it. Now it seems to me that a lock is overdoing it when someone could just take a pocket knife and slit it in a breath's time..besides what are you going to keep in a tent that is worth stealing? On further down the aisle were girl's cowboy boots in pink sparkles and camo design. Not my cup of tea but , oh well. (I guess those would be cowgirl boots)

They couldn't deliver on the right blades so we exchanged them for bags of 50/50 - feed, must be half something and half something. don't even ask. it's sure to be info that Eddy as told me a hundred times but if you are not interested in it, then it goes out the door. I am sure I get the same glazed look at the feed store as Eddy gets when I drag him to museums or go on and on about the history channel. So off we went to a John Deere place. Everything was green. If you don't know then just believe me when I tell you that John Deere as it's own paint color. What would be mine.

I think at that point, I was wondering what would the rest of the day hold as I had read most of my southern living magazine by that point.

Back to the sale barn for a patient watch of 100's of the same cattle going back and forth across the ring. It was kinda neat as the ring masters get them going in a flesh and blood whirlpool that bleeds out through the "get out" gate when opened. groups of 30 or more, I mean. When it was a solitary calf, I felt sorry for it as sometimes they ran into the railing in confusion. We were there for several hours and I squirmed and squirmed. It's good practice for the airplane, though. Which will be next week. We fly out on the llth and return on the 16th.

Jake will make arrangements for me to get on a train in Philly and head to NYC and Brooklyn on Sat. the 12th. I've never done that by myself so here's hoping that I don't end up in Atlantic City or go north to Alaska by mistake.

It's so hot outside now this afternoon and hazy. Of course, this leads to longer posts and some really interesting surfs of the Internet.

later

No comments: